Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Technological Invasion

The three videos and article all discuss different aspects of technological advancements and the new advantages as well as disadvantages that they introduce.

Digital Designers Rediscover their Hands
I myself am for the most part computer-illiterate. I feel much more comfortable using my hand to create my art because I am very shaky when it comes to graphic art tool. I find that with my own hands I have greater control to achieve a desired outcome. Using your hands and a mouse are two very different things and in this technology dominant world I think it is important for designers to use their hands during the creative process as discussed in "Digital Designers Rediscover their Hands". I agree with the point made by the writer that by using their hands, designers could create things that are safer, user-friendly and more durable. After all, holding the three dimensional object in actual space is much different than viewing a three dimensional simulation on a two dimensional screen. I will admit that I am technology-phobic. As advancements in technology take over most aspects of art careers I feel that the need for artistic skill could become less important. Artistic methods will become oppselete as demonstrated with photography. Film and darkroom developement has become a thing of the past because it's digital replacement has proven to be easier, faster, and less limiting. However, there is an art in the developing process itself. The feeling of accomplishment while using physical techniques to achieve an image is just as important as the finished product. I do know however, that technology is the transport into the future and I have to jump on now or fear being left in the dust.

Photosynth,Laws that Choke Creativity, Alison Chang

It was interesting to see these three articles together. One article shows the incredible advancement in technology with the introduction of Photosynth. This program can create a model of anywhere using images posted online from around the world. This technology successfully exemplifies Larry Lessig"s point that the new technological age is giving birth to creativity while Alison Chang's story exemplifies the legal restraints that this "read-write rebirth" must address. Though the use of images posted online is public domain there is a line in which something must be determined as stolen or borrowed for a new idea.

In the case of Chang's picture i believe that it is a complete invasion of privacy. She herself did not post the photo. Virgin Mobile used the underage girls image without the parents' consent to endorse a product that she may not even agree with, and then did not even compensate her for the use of her picture. If celebrities have to be paid by advertisers so should everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment